Get Married on Bute

Bute is a fantastic venue for a wedding. We can cater for all budgets and sizes of ceremonies.

Where to get Married on Bute?
Before listing the more conventional wedding venues on Bute it’s worth mentioning that you can choose to marry virtually anywhere by applying to Argyll & Bute council for a temporary approval as an approved remote place for marriages for your chosen venue. So, how about a boat or one of Bute’s lovely beaches or just a beautiful spot overlooking the bay.

Points to remember:

  • Ask permission from the land owner before arranging the wedding.
  • You’ll need to arrange public liability insurance.
  • In case of bad weather organise an indoor venue.

Contact the Registrar if you need more information.

Mount Stuart House
Set in 300 acres of gloriously landscaped gardens and grounds, and home to both the awe-inspiring Marble Chapel and magnificent Marble Hall, the House is a unique venue that epitomises both quality and luxury. The stunning interiors and grounds offer a choice of seven different locations licensed for ceremonies, all coupled with an exquisite food.

Rothesay Castle
Our ancient castle is right in the centre of town and is a great venue for your wedding. The ceremony can be conducted in the great hall, pictures can be taken and the wedding party can walk to the reception at a local hotel 

Church Wedding
There are 4 churches on Bute.  Once you have checked availability for the church of your choice and discussed your plans with the appropriate Minister you need to contact the Registrar for a Marriage pack. It is the same pack for Religious and Civil Marriage ceremonies.

Planning your Marriage

All weddings in Scotland require some paperwork and this is processed by the local Registration office in the area where your marriage is to take place. If you are having a civil ceremony please check the availability of a registrar once you have decided on a date for your wedding.

When getting married or having a civil partnership both parties need to complete either marriage notice forms (M10) or civil partnership forms (CP10).  Forms can be downloaded from National Records of Scotland or they can emailed to you by a registrar.

The earliest your paperwork can be submitted is 3 months before the date of your wedding/partnership and no later than 29 days before the date of the event.  We would advise that you do not leave it any later than 6 weeks before the date to ensure your paperwork is in order and is processed in time.

The forms should be returned with the following documents;

  • Both parties have to submit their birth certificates (originals not photocopies and translations if needed)
  • Copies of passports to verify nationality
  • Proof of residency for each of you (copies of valid driving licence, council tax bill for the current year,  utility bill dated within 3 months or a bank statement dated within the month)
  • If either of you have previously been married or in a civil partnership we will require relevant documentation to prove you are free to marry e.g. Original Divorce Documents, Death Certificate. (originals not photocopies and translations if required)

*Please note * – if submitting foreign divorce documents then a separate questionnaire will also need to be completed.

  • Full names and addresses of your two witnesses who must be over 16 years of age
  • The appropriate payment
  • If subject to immigration you should contact the UK Border Agency (Tel: 0870 606 7766) for advice about entry requirements to the UK under the immigration rules for marriage or civil partnership.

A marriage visa is not required to give notice of marriage or civil partnership but it may be required to enter the UK.  We strongly suggest that you check what is required by the Border Agency if this applies to you. You might be required to complete a ‘Declaration of Immigration Status’ form.

Fees are subject to increase at any point in the year so please get in touch with the registrar before sending in your paperwork and they will advise of the correct charge. The fees can be paid by cheque (made payable to Argyll and Bute Council) or you can pay by card over the phone (credit card incurs a 2% surcharge) or by bank transfer.

Office hours are 9am – 12:30 and 1:30 – 4pm, Monday to Friday.

When sending in your documents please send them by recorded delivery and note PERSONAL on the envelope so it comes directly to us. If handing your documents into the office please contact the Registrar beforehand as you might need to make an appointment.

The Marriage Schedule which is the document you will sign on the wedding day must be collected in person by either party the week of the wedding. We can return any original documents to you at this point or if required they can be returned by recorded delivery (a fee for this will be added).

We can either keep any original documents until the day of your wedding/partnership or if required they can be returned by recorded delivery (a fee for this will be added).
Once we are aware of which registrar will be conducting your ceremony they will email a copy of the ceremony to you to look over. We are more than happy to alter our ceremony in any way to suit you and make it more personal for you both, by including your own personal words to each other, readings, unity candles, poems or a story of your life together so far. It’s your day and we want to make it as special as possible. Please let us know of any ideas that you have and copies of any readings.

More Details about Weddings on BUTE are available at the Argyll & Bute Council website….. CLICK HERE